Fantasy Football Captain Picks / Latest Articles

Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2

Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2

Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2

Scene from Altman’s ‘The Long Goodbye’, which hopefully will inspire readers to don a suit and smoke a cigarette whilst pondering who to captain this week. Gould’s Philip Marlowe would not captain Salah. He’d probably let his cat decide.

Welcome to Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2.  I hope this finds you all mentally sound, high on Boudin noir – and that you’re not in a brown study, brought on by premature wildcarding.

Given that most of the community will be captaining Salah this week – or will if they have any sense – then I did consider submitting one candidate for this article with the words ‘don’t overthink it’. Amused by this idea but wanting to give you, dear reader, something more, I tried writing a Haiku instead, but could only manage this unfinished and profoundly mediocre effort:

A heavy, hirsute boot runs
betrayed by the sea

However after a cold shower and a couple of stiff drinks, followed by a bit of head-scratching, staring at coffee grounds and rolling a dice or two I hope I’ve made a reasonable attempt to completely waste your time make you half-consider one or two others: with the emphasis on one or two.

Mo Salah

Mohamed Salah of Liverpool makes his usual compelling case for you to choose him as your captain. (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)

Pros: Form and fixture. Salah’s started the season in fine fettle and rewarded his many owners in GW1 with a solid, double-digit return – the first, I am sure, of many. Given that the opposition this week is a poor looking Southampton side – if you believe the comments of their fans – who conceded three at Burnley, then you’d fancy Salah for a goal at least. His scoring record in Liverpool’s last four games against Southampton looks good: 5 goals out of a total of 11 scored*.

Cons: The air of old boys’ reunion adds a whiff of spice to this tie. On the subject, the return to the starting line up of Mané (one would imagine) may reduce the number of chances Salah gets.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Auba defies the laws of gravity. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Pros: Bit of form and bit of a fixture. A well-taken goal v Newcastle suggests Auba has his shooting boots on. For non-Salah owners then Auba may be worth a think. Has a great name.

Cons: The ‘bit of a fixture’ is Burnley, who started with an assured clean sheet, were well-organised by all accounts and who I doubt will roll over easily. They may, in fact, win the match. Auba’s very much a punt and I doubt many will be giving him serious consideraion just yet. He may come in handy in giving Pope save points. Less fancifully, some bizarre rotation may mess up things for his owners.

Raheem Sterling

‘Choose Mo as captain,’ guffaws RS, ‘what about me?’ (Photo by Tom Flathers/Manchester City FC via Getty Images)

Pros: Very hot form and a home fixture against a slightly iffy looking Spurs. Top point scorer in GW1 and, crucially, top in terms of the influence** metric (with Barnes a very distant second) on the FPL site. I won’t insult your intelligence with any more of this waffle.

Cons: I wouldn’t have thought Spurs will be the pushover West Ham were. Despite their relative jitters v Aston Villa they still managed to prevail. May be a close contest. Won’t be allowed to take a penalty.

The Ones who Got Away
Wilson, Jimenez, Firmino, Mané. I gave Kane some thought but not much, given the opposition. Need to see more of Man U before tipping them.

Best of luck.

*source: Swirly’s article.
** Please don’t ask me about the influence metric.

Thanks for reading Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2. This article was written by Kralin.

FPL FIXTURE TRACKER

FIXTURE TRACKER LINK

FIXTURE TRACKER 2019/20

Fantasy Football 247 League Codes:

This is our main public FF247 League, which anyone is welcome to join and can be accessed using the code below;
League Code: ikkny1

The prize pool for this one is £300.

View league standings – coming soon

Our Regulars League* for 2019/20 is sponsored by Fanteam The cash prize pool is £500. The first 5 places are paid out in a tiered system.

To enter this one you need to be an active and recognised site member and you need to e-mail us for the league code – elleffcee@gmail.com

*terms and conditions apply and are available upon request. Management reserve the right to review membership of this league on an ongoing basis which is dependent upon regular comment / community activity.

Vote on our Captain Poll Now

captain-poll-article1

Enjoyed that Kralin – well written and very funny.

Appreciate all your comments and interaction on site. Keep it up!

Zed Leppelin says:

By the way, price rises have happened now, and quite a lot of them too:

UP:

Ederson £6.1m
    Sterling £12.1m
    Rashford £8.6m
    de Gea £5.6m
    Martial £7.6m

DOWN:

Özil £7.4m
    Matip £5.4m
    Alisson £5.9m
    Sané £9.4m

AJW says:

Hey GP – feel that we all neglected to give your haggis comments our full attention. Having never had the occasion, what’s it like? When and how do you eat it? You mentioned Neeps and Tatties (turnips and potatoes, right?) which seem a pretty popular accompaniment in Scotland .
    Just thought I’d keep the conversation off football for a bit, as am not planning to make any changes yet, and didn’t get a chance to watch any of the action but listened to the Guardian podcast for some indication. Apparently Chelsea are in a transitional phase atm, suffering from the departure of Danger Mouse (Hazard – pretty poor joke, sorry!). How did Barkley go? I suppose he was swept away by the wave of United enthusiasm and Chelsea self-doubt? Damn! Here I am talking football ⚽!!!! Cheerio!

HEHEHE!

Hi AJW

Its basically anything of a sheep within the sheep’s stomach!

“Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep’s pluck (heart, liver, and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while traditionally encased in the animal’s stomach”

Neeps and tatties is correct – turnips and potatoes – and some will eat it with a whisky sauce but that’s not for me. Traditional to eat at Burns Supper with a nip (whisky) and at gatherings it is piped in – brought in accompanied by bagpipe music and then ‘addressed’ by a speaker using the words of the Rabbie Burns in his Address to the Haggis poem:

Fair fa’ your honest, sonsie face,
      Great chieftain o the puddin’-race!
      Aboon them a’ ye tak your place,
      Painch, tripe, or thairm:
      Weel are ye worthy o’ a grace
      As lang’s my arm.

• AJW says:

Good on you GP! Loved your comments! Like any Antiipodean, there are many different origins to my genetic makeup, including Irish, Scots, English, Spanish (admittedly a tiny part there!) and heaven knows what else! When I hear the sound of bagpipes, and Burns’ poetry the Scots in me races to the fore (and heads for the whisky;). Brought up in sheep country but have never tasted the haggis. Speak to you soon! smile

theswirly says:

Great article, Kralin! Short but sweet! No mention of black puddings though 😉

HazK84 says:

Great article Kralin, Salah is cappo for me all the way!

I’m planning to roll my transfer this GW in anticipation of bringing in Son for Moura in GW3, however I need to find 2.0m to facilitate this…I want to keep Robbo, VVD, Sterling, Salah & Kane.

Any bright ideas to make this happen, I was thinking:
    Moura to Son
    Zinchenko to Dunk
    KWP to a 4.0m

This would mean a much weakened defence….

Thanks for your help!

Click on image to enlarge:

Zed Leppelin says:

Yeah that’s pretty much the only way if you intend on keeping Robbo, VVD, Sterling, Salah & Kane. KWP isn’t nailed anyway so I wouldn’t mind him for a 4.0m def…

lamderek says:

don’t see any other way of doing it, u have already taken all out available on your bench fodders. kelly at crystal palace and lundstram at sheffield could be good 4.0 defender options. well good thing you have another week to keep your eye on the options. if moura scores against city, you might think again about him, it’s possible he will still be in the team even when son comes back. and are liverpool defenders still good with alisson out, maybe you’ll have second thoughts if liverpool fail to keep clean sheet again this week.

Kralin says:

Problem with that is it’ll leave you very thin on City players. Why not go for KdB ahead of Son? You have Kane. KdB is blipping away on my GW3 radar.

man u man says:

Guys, what to do here? I think I need to lose Jorginho.

Click on image to enlarge: