Fantasy Football Captain Picks / Latest Articles

Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2

Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2

Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2

Scene from Altman’s ‘The Long Goodbye’, which hopefully will inspire readers to don a suit and smoke a cigarette whilst pondering who to captain this week. Gould’s Philip Marlowe would not captain Salah. He’d probably let his cat decide.

Welcome to Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2.  I hope this finds you all mentally sound, high on Boudin noir – and that you’re not in a brown study, brought on by premature wildcarding.

Given that most of the community will be captaining Salah this week – or will if they have any sense – then I did consider submitting one candidate for this article with the words ‘don’t overthink it’. Amused by this idea but wanting to give you, dear reader, something more, I tried writing a Haiku instead, but could only manage this unfinished and profoundly mediocre effort:

A heavy, hirsute boot runs
betrayed by the sea

However after a cold shower and a couple of stiff drinks, followed by a bit of head-scratching, staring at coffee grounds and rolling a dice or two I hope I’ve made a reasonable attempt to completely waste your time make you half-consider one or two others: with the emphasis on one or two.

Mo Salah

Mohamed Salah of Liverpool makes his usual compelling case for you to choose him as your captain. (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)

Pros: Form and fixture. Salah’s started the season in fine fettle and rewarded his many owners in GW1 with a solid, double-digit return – the first, I am sure, of many. Given that the opposition this week is a poor looking Southampton side – if you believe the comments of their fans – who conceded three at Burnley, then you’d fancy Salah for a goal at least. His scoring record in Liverpool’s last four games against Southampton looks good: 5 goals out of a total of 11 scored*.

Cons: The air of old boys’ reunion adds a whiff of spice to this tie. On the subject, the return to the starting line up of Mané (one would imagine) may reduce the number of chances Salah gets.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Auba defies the laws of gravity. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Pros: Bit of form and bit of a fixture. A well-taken goal v Newcastle suggests Auba has his shooting boots on. For non-Salah owners then Auba may be worth a think. Has a great name.

Cons: The ‘bit of a fixture’ is Burnley, who started with an assured clean sheet, were well-organised by all accounts and who I doubt will roll over easily. They may, in fact, win the match. Auba’s very much a punt and I doubt many will be giving him serious consideraion just yet. He may come in handy in giving Pope save points. Less fancifully, some bizarre rotation may mess up things for his owners.

Raheem Sterling

‘Choose Mo as captain,’ guffaws RS, ‘what about me?’ (Photo by Tom Flathers/Manchester City FC via Getty Images)

Pros: Very hot form and a home fixture against a slightly iffy looking Spurs. Top point scorer in GW1 and, crucially, top in terms of the influence** metric (with Barnes a very distant second) on the FPL site. I won’t insult your intelligence with any more of this waffle.

Cons: I wouldn’t have thought Spurs will be the pushover West Ham were. Despite their relative jitters v Aston Villa they still managed to prevail. May be a close contest. Won’t be allowed to take a penalty.

The Ones who Got Away
Wilson, Jimenez, Firmino, Mané. I gave Kane some thought but not much, given the opposition. Need to see more of Man U before tipping them.

Best of luck.

*source: Swirly’s article.
** Please don’t ask me about the influence metric.

Thanks for reading Fantasy Football Captain Picks Gameweek 2. This article was written by Kralin.

FPL FIXTURE TRACKER

FIXTURE TRACKER LINK

FIXTURE TRACKER 2019/20

Fantasy Football 247 League Codes:

This is our main public FF247 League, which anyone is welcome to join and can be accessed using the code below;
League Code: ikkny1

The prize pool for this one is £300.

View league standings – coming soon

Our Regulars League* for 2019/20 is sponsored by Fanteam The cash prize pool is £500. The first 5 places are paid out in a tiered system.

To enter this one you need to be an active and recognised site member and you need to e-mail us for the league code – elleffcee@gmail.com

*terms and conditions apply and are available upon request. Management reserve the right to review membership of this league on an ongoing basis which is dependent upon regular comment / community activity.

Vote on our Captain Poll Now

captain-poll-article1

Kop Warrior says:

Super article Kralin. Short & sweet smile

I was all set to go Salah but those 120 minutes may swing me towards Sterling!

Kralin says:

Thank you Kop.

I’m still loyally flying the flag for Mo. Maybe he’ll come off early if the game’s in the bag. However have moved the V from Wilson to Sterling.

GW2 last year – if memory serves – saw a fair amount of irresolution over Kun as captain – and he then scored a hat-trick.

• Zed Leppelin says:

Yep, I remember that well, was on Kun all week and then changed to Mo in the last minute… It can go both ways though

• Kralin says:

Oh yes. I think that Ederson assist to Kun to get things rolling, very early in the game, was my favourite fantasy moment from last season – not that I owned Ederson.

Hopefully Klopp’ll say something tomorrow like ‘the boys are fine, they were a bit tired yesterday but training’s gone well today’; soothe a nerve or two. Sterling – even Wilson – is an ok plan b for me should a haggard looking Klopp say, ‘we partied until 9am and got on the wrong plane and ended up at Cape Town. I’ve only just got here. Who are we playing?’

Raziel says:

Yup. Trying to let him speak for me himself. Grow strong. Talk like Arnold. I like him, he reminds me of B. hippo

constantine says:

Going with Wilson as my captain now. Against Villa might be his time. Anyways, I don’t think City-Spurs shall be a very high scoring game. Might be a bit of differential pick as well.

Kralin says:

Risky pick given that most will not be on him (I wouldn’t have thought). But if you fancy it, go for it, could be inspired. Not the worst of punts by a long way.

My feeling is that Salah (assuming he plays, which surely he will) will get umpteen chances.

• constantine says:

Cheers Kralin. I think I’m going to stick with him. It’s his ownership that scares me a bit. If he scores a hattrick or something then that’ll be very bad. Although, not owning if at all shall be worse(for those who don’t have him). I can see some of the managers switching him to Mane from tonight’s performance.

• constantine says:

Oops, first “him” was Wilson. Then Salah all the way

• Kralin says:

Mane’s second goal was very Mane like, a wonderful effort. I checked his ownership a day or two ago and was startled to see it >10%.

A few went for him over Salah last year but timing, as ever, was the key.

Best of luck with the Wilson captaincy; I own Wilson myself and will be willing him on.

igy4 says:

Evening all! I was caught out by price rises as was considering Moura to Martial. However, I do have 0.5itb so could still make the move. Moura will be gone after GW2 anyway, the decision is whether Martial will score more points against Wolves or Moura against City.

Click on image to enlarge:

Kralin says:

It’s always good to have a few nicker stashed away. Comes in ‘andy.

Um, I’d still roll it though. I still think we need to take a longer gander at Man U (and a few other teams, Chelsea included). You’ll enjoy having 2FTs next week plus all that money you’ve got stashed in a sock.

bees393 says:

Zinchenko or Hayden? Not sure the MC will keep a CS…thanks

Click on image to enlarge:

jamesimmo says:

I usually side with my attackers, bees, as they typically have higher ceilings for potential points. However, in this case, Zinchenko’s arguably semi-likely 6 points are probably easier to get. Norwich are clearly no pushovers and Newcastle could be set for another stagnant start.

jamesimmo says:

Cheers for your thoughts on the GW2 captaincy, Kralin, that was great. Just how I prefer my women: short and, to start with, almost comically dry.

I’m surprised that more FF247 regulars aren’t giving Sterling their captaincy armband, actually, but I suppose that any Spurs fixture’s theoretically harder than any Southampton fixture — home, away, in a neutral stadium, or even in a pub-league field — despite Man City’s track record of prolific goalscoring at home, it all barely matters when you’re trying to separate Salah from the rest. I’m gonna play this one safe.

Kralin says:

Pleased you found it of use James.

I’ve had the armband on Salah all week, though cautiously moved the V from Wilson to Sterling as a way of preparing myself for the change, if it came. I felt I was ready. Wednesday evening came and went but Klopp’s comments yesterday settled my nerves.